Rachel:

I believe that business rules should always be separated, even for
non-volatile, bureaucratic stuff like health-care claims. Because then you
have flexibility to quickly adapt your business to external forces such as
new programming tools (think Java, VB.Net) or to new communications
protocols (think HTTP, XML).

In business application software design, the holy grail is to separate
business logic from any other factor - presentation, data access method, or
protocol. Additionally, this functional separation does not entail any time
delays. What's not to like ?

Cheers,
Paul