Personally, I prefer Programmer's File Editor (PFE32).  It's freeware, and
it allows me to replace the segment terminators with a segment terminator
_and_ a carriage return. _And_ handles some pretty large files without
balking.  For those that _are_ too big, I have my own _unwrap_ utility that
I run, then view the unwrapped file with PFE.

The program is no longer under development, however it's still available on
the internet at <http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe> and at several
freeware sites.

Harold DeWayne, CECP
Gates McDonald Health Plus

I would agree about UltaEdit...I have a copy and use it frequently for the
very functions you describe. Leah, however, didn't say what she wanted to
do
other than view "edi." If that's all, then why pay, even a nominal amount,
for other tool when notepad could do the job?

Rachel

Oh..... but Ultraedit is everything notepad is and more.  You can't view
hex
data in notepad which is essential sometimes with separators.  Plus
Ultraedit
will scroll large files quickly and even multiple large files at the same
time.

No I am not affiliated with Ultredit but am I very satified customer.

Rachel Foerster wrote:

> Leah.
>
> Depends on what you're trying to look at....a raw X12 data stream? If
yes,
> notepad does a pretty good job and if you're running a Windows OS you
> already have it.
>
> Rachel Foerster
>
> for what platform?  for windows, UltraEdit is pretty good.
> www.ultraedit.com
> Leah

Glenn Thompson
Programmer/Analyst