Actually it's possible to use Chameleon to browse
an X12/HL7/Edifact message.

http://www.interfaceware.com/browser/screen.html

The product uses a currently loaded message definitions
to label the segment fields in the EDI message. We derive
that information from an external source - in the case
of X12 we used the table data from the Washington
Publishing Company to load Chameleon with the right
field definitions - although it's pretty easy to use the GUI
to add and edit segments.

It's proven quite useful - IDX is using it to validate some
270/271 messages they work with out of their own proprietary
engine.

--
Eliot Muir, Chief Technical Officer         iNTERFACEWARE
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Voice 1-416-8207050      http://www.interfaceware.com

Makers of iNTERFACEWARE Chameleon
   "Program to the iNTERFACE not the implementation"