Dale Marthaller asked about synchronizing a TLE EDI server as a backup to a
production server.

I haven't done it, but I think you have identified the minimum things you need
to coordinate in order have the backup system operational.   There are various
ways to achieve this, depending on the level of backup functionality you need,
how much you want to invest, etc.

1)  Manual and procedural - When adding or modifying a trading partner or event,
after it is added use the "copy to database" function from Operations Center to
copy it to the backup.  Then, copy the event tables to the backup system using
the Operations Center browser menu function.  You are able to function, but some
acknowledgments, history, etc. might not be available on the backup system.
This is definitely the minimalist approach, and also the easiest and most fool
proof so long as procedures are followed.  If procedures aren't followed, you
may not have current trading partner setup or maps, but you have little risk of
corrupting the backup system to a point where it won't operate.

2)  Automatic - You would have to look at whatever facilities MS SQL has for
synchronizing databases.  I'm not familiar with them right off, but I think you
should be able to find something.    You would also need to develop or acquire a
utility to copy new or modified files in the TLE directory structure from the
production system to the backup.  This would get not only your event tables, but
data files, logs, working directories, etc.  Again, I don't know of anything
right off, but it should be fairly easy to do with a Perl script or something
like that.  This automatic option would have the added advantage of keeping
history, error log records, reconciliation, etc. up to date also.  This is more
of a full featured approach, but also more prone to errors and leaving your
backup system in an inconsistent state if something goes wrong.

--
Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com