I also agree with Jim Divoky in that if you are willing to travel, there may be some companies who would be happy to work with you.  Don't know if this is still the case, but a few years back when I was first looking for an EDI position and I didn't have much experience with it, Sterling seemed to constantly look for and hire Sterling Commerce consultants who would live out of a suitcase and travel to different cities each week teaching their EDI products to clients.  They would guarantee that you'll be home each weekend, you could live anywhere in the US that you wanted, but it had to be near a major airport.  Don't know if this is still the case.  You'll have to call Sterling.

Have you spoken with any companies that specialize in EDI JOBS and placement?  Perhaps they'll be able to give you some advice and help direct you.  Here's a couple of websites that I remember:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Divoky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 7:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New to the EDI profession...HELP!

If you are willing to travel, you may want to consider contracting.  I don't recommend it for a younger person as you should get some good experience first.  Sometimes clients just need some extra mapping help or partner setup that presumably you can handle.

In any case, I recommend you post your resume on http://www.monster.com & http://www.hotjobs.com for permanent positions and http://www.dice.com & http://www.net-temps.com for contract positions.

Jim Divoky
EC Solutions, Inc.
PO Box 667
Kent, OH  44240-0012
Providing EDI/EC Consulting and Contracting Services
Mobile    330-606-6826
Pager     877-282-3426   (Toll free)
Email     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          To send email to mobile phone: [EMAIL PROTECTED]