Thanks, Art.  I'm feeling foolish for not having been doing the PR you suggest, 
but it is still a timely suggestion!

Ken

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Art Douglas 
  To: 'Denise Tate' ; [email protected] 
  Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:48 PM
  Subject: RE: [EDI-L] [Update] EDI Coordinator Job Description


  Denise,

  IMHO HR is a four-letter word. They exist primarily to limit corporate
  liability in a litigious society. They do not understand the first thing
  about what you do, or how important you are to your firm. They have no idea
  of the value of the knowledge you have, nor how expensive in terms of
  learning-curve time it would be to replace you.

  Hopefully, your boss understands. Pray for him or her, that they stay alive
  and able to stand in the gap on your behalf.

  I tell my client's EDI and IT people that they need to become as adept at
  Public Relations as they are at their technical disciplines. Make certain
  that every manager in your chain of command knows who you are, and what
  value you bring to the firm. Don't settle for face recognition and an org
  chart. Then expand that number to include all the user business managers of
  all the departments your work impacts. Make sure they realize the value of
  what you do. Businesses issue press releases when they accomplish
  something: "XYZ Corporation announces the acquisition of Best & Company.
  This will combine the forces of the two great powerhouses in the widget
  industry to better provide our customers access to baseball, apple pie, and
  should they so chose, motherhood." You need to learn from this. When you
  add a trading partner, notify your circle of influence - i.e. the managers,
  "Today we completed EDI testing of Big Box Customer & Co. Beginning Monday,
  all purchase orders submitted by Big will be processed through EDI, freeing
  up twelve hours per week for our Customer Service Representatives to spend
  with customers, instead of on tedious manual entry of Big's POs. This is
  the first step in fully automating Big paperwork. Testing of Big invoices
  begins next week. Once that is completed, our invoices to Big will no
  longer be subject to being 'lost in the mail,' meaning cash flow should
  speed up and the number of disputes should be reduced."

  What I am trying to explain, in my long-winded fashion, is that you need to
  establish, in the minds of corporate management, that you are not a
  commodity. You are unique, and bring unique value to the organization. 

  If you do this successfully, I can guarantee you ... um ... nothing. Keep
  that resume updated, maintain good relations with everybody, and hope for
  the best.

  Good luck,

  Art Douglas
  Chief Consultant
  Blackwater Network
  877-464-8915

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
  Denise Tate
  Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:43 AM
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: [EDI-L] [Update] EDI Coordinator Job Description

  Good Morning. 

  A few months ago I asked for assistance in writing my job description. I
  appreciated all the information received. I submitted a job description for
  "EDI Coordinator/IT Support" which is more accurately what I do. 

  Our Company IT department consists of my boss and myself plus a part time
  contract programmer 2 days a week. It is really a great setup. I enjoy
  doing different things. 

  Well,,, last week I received a "benchmark" of my job & salary against the
  chicagoland area market. I was disappointed and surprised by what the HR
  person told me and I would like to share it with the group. 

  The job description I submitted was ignored and a cryptic EDI Coordinator
  job description was used from a Marketing Salary Research databank. My
  salary benchmark was the salary I started at 9 years ago. And to top it
  off, when I asked about the "IT Support" portion of my position, the HR
  person stated if they used that part of my job to benchmark my salary it
  would have brought it DOWN! Yep she said DOWN! 

  I have 15 years experience in EDI and this is the first time I have ever
  heard doing MORE will reduce your marketability. Hmmm..

  Any comments I can pass along to my HR person? 

  Thank you in advance.. I need a laugh today can you tell.. 

  Denise

  ...
  Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix:
  <SALES>, <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

  Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS>
  IS REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
  Yahoo! Groups Links



   

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to