Denise, 

By accepting the Markting Salary Research benchmark as representative of your 
value to your company after gaining 9 years of knowledge and experience, you 
have just reduced yourself to a  yellow pencil in a large pool of  yellow 
pencils.

They're all the same and the only difference is price and availability.

Name one person in the the  U.S. who has your level of knowledge and experience 
and interpersonal working relationships with the other employees in the company.

Name one person who can be asked to solve a problem and go solve it with little 
or no additional direction.

Name one person who can be trusted to carry out your responsibilities, day-in 
and day-out, and to complete your assignments correctly and on-time, with 
minimum supervision.

The HR person is trying to convince you that you are not worth any more than 
any other EDI Coordinator/IT Suppport person and that they can replace you any 
day of the week.

The HR person is trying to demonstrate his ability to save the company money 
without regard for the impact that saving will have on the efficiency and 
productivity of the other employees and the operations of the compay.

How does your manager feel about this.

Is your manager willing to let any the salary database come in Monday morning 
and try to do your job.

Is your manager willing to bet his/her job, and the company, on the replacement 
provided by the HR person?

You need to convince your manager (not the HR person I hope) that you are worth 
far more than any other person in your category and that, if he doesn't agree, 
you'll find some other company to work for where your talents and commitment 
are appreciated (after you find another job).

You need to convey your value to the company to your manager, not the HR 
person, and give your manager the information he/she needs to go to bat for you 
with top mangement.

If you can get top management to agree with you, they'll tell the HR person 
what to pay  you, not the other way around.

Good luck,

Dave

Dave Taylor
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
49 Aspen Way
Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
(O) 800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
(F) 310-377-3550
(C) 310-561-5200
www.sysmarkinfo.com
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Denise Tate 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:42 AM
  Subject: [EDI-L] [Update] EDI Coordinator Job Description


  Good Morning. 

  A few months ago I asked for assistance in writing my job description. I 
appreciated all the information received. I submitted a job description for 
"EDI Coordinator/IT Support" which is more accurately what I do. 

  Our Company IT department consists of my boss and myself plus a part time 
contract programmer 2 days a week. It is really a great setup. I enjoy doing 
different things. 

  Well,,, last week I received a "benchmark" of my job & salary against the 
chicagoland area market. I was disappointed and surprised by what the HR person 
told me and I would like to share it with the group. 

  The job description I submitted was ignored and a cryptic EDI Coordinator job 
description was used from a Marketing Salary Research databank. My salary 
benchmark was the salary I started at 9 years ago. And to top it off, when I 
asked about the "IT Support" portion of my position, the HR person stated if 
they used that part of my job to benchmark my salary it would have brought it 
DOWN! Yep she said DOWN! 

  I have 15 years experience in EDI and this is the first time I have ever 
heard doing MORE will reduce your marketability. Hmmm..

  Any comments I can pass along to my HR person? 

  Thank you in advance.. I need a laugh today can you tell.. 

  Denise



   

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to