On 2015-08-17 11:10:57, Bill Paul wrote:
> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, David Woodhouse had
> to walk into mine at 11:00:23 on Monday 17 August 2015 and say:
>
> > On Mon, 2015-08-17 at 10:53 -0700, Jordan Justen wrote:
> > > UNIXGCC and CYGGCC are GCC 4.3 & mingw based. Did this get tested?
> > >
> > > I think ELFGCC is unused at this point. (And has been since UnixPkg
> > > was deprecated.)
> > >
> > > I think we should deprecate all three of these toolchains. I would
> > > like to see us move them to BaseTools/Conf/tools_def.deprecated. I'll
> > > add Larry to this email, because I think he disagrees with
> > > deprecating
> > > toolchains...
> > >
> > > If you make these changes and it breaks those toolchains, I don't
> > > think we would be able to notice, because I don't think we test them
> > > in our build pool anymore. To me this is all the more reason to move
> > > them out of tools_def.template.
> >
> > I was building with UNIXGCC last week, to test LLP64 builds without the
> > pain of actually having to deal with Windows.
> >
> > I'd rather see it updated to work with modern MinGW rather than
> > deprecated.
>
> I use UNIXGCC with the cross-compiler toolchain generated by mingw-gcc-
> build.py. Yes, I know the existing version of the script uses GCC 4.3.0.
> That's why I made an updated version that uses 4.9.3:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/edk2/mingw-gcc-build.py
>
> I know you don't want to support this script, that's why I did the work for
> you. :) Yes I've tested both IA32 and X64 builds. Yes they work fine.
>
> There is value in being able to bootstrap your own cross-build toolchain on
> whatever platform. I don't think you should be so quick to remove it.

Can't you use an elf-based GCC4.9 with the GCC49 toolchain instead?

I'm not sure it makes sense to 'upgrade' the UNIXGCC toolchain to be
based on GCC 4.9 rather than 4.3. I think GCC 4.3 was implicitly part
of the definition of the UNIXGCC toolchain. (Well, maybe explicitly if
you count the comment in tools_def :) This is why I'd rather deprecate
it as a toolchain, and use the GCC4X toolchains instead.

-Jordan