On 17 August 2015 at 21:16, David Woodhouse <dw...@infradead.org> wrote:
> See http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html

>>> Not for testing LLP64, no.
>>
>> How/who is this helping?
>
> It was massively useful for testing the OpenSSL stuff I've been working on
> recently. It showed up a number of issues which would otherwise only occur
> a Windows build.

Indeed. I don't use Windows or have access to any MS toolchains, so
this is basically the only way to make sure my code is LLP64 clean.

>>> Or kill UNIXGCC and replace it with MINGWGCC so the historical baggage
>>> is lost.
>>
>> Maybe MINGW49. But, please not before we figure out how to actually
>> deprecate toolchains. :)

Why *must* we have the version encoded into the name? For GCC4x, the
differences are so minor that it is just maintenance overhead imo. I
used CLANG35 instead of CLANG per your request, but I am definitely
not going to add CLANG36 CLANG37 etc unless there is a real need.

>> By 'figure out', I mean get to the point where we are okay with
>> actually deprecating toolchains.
>
> Deprecating toolchains is pointless until we can ditch the badly
> maintained 20th century crap that holds us back from using C99 code. Once
> we have the political will to say "here's a nickel, kid. Buy yourself a
> real compiler" and provide Windows-hosted GCC or LLVM based toolchains,
> there really is no point.

Well, I would think that deprecating toolchains that don't support C99
is the first step towards allowing C99.

We are kidding ourselves if we think that 'present in
tools_def.template' and 'supported' are the same thing. In other
words, many of these toolchains are already deprecated since nobody
uses them, and they may not work anymore at all.