> On May 25, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/25/17 22:37, Andrew Fish wrote:

>>> Do we know for a fact that, with /OPT:REF, VS does not strip unused
>>> *static* variables and functions?
>>>
>>> I mean, is it certain that *replacing* GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED
>>> with STATIC in this case would lead to a size increase?
>>>
>>> If that's the case, then I'm fine if we go ahead with this patch, I'd
>>> just like to request that Mike please file some of those BZs, and please
>>> reference them from the commit message (as the longer term solution),
>>> before committing the patch.
>>>

>> Clang will warn if you have unused static variables when warnings are
>> cranked up.
>>
>> ~/work/Compiler>cat static.c
>> static unsigned char gTest[] = { 42 };
>>
>> static int test ()
>> {
>>  return 1;
>> }
>>
>> int main ()
>> {
>>  return 0;
>> }
>> ~/work/Compiler>clang -Os static.c -Wall
>> static.c:1:22: warning: unused variable 'gTest' [-Wunused-variable]
>> static unsigned char gTest[] = { 42 };
>>                     ^
>> static.c:3:12: warning: unused function 'test' [-Wunused-function]
>> static int test ()
>>           ^
>> 2 warnings generated.
>
> Sorry, my question was imprecise.
>
> Assume there is a public library function ("external linkage") that
> calls a static function in the same library instance and uses a static
> variable in the same library instance. Then this library instance is
> linked into a driver, but the driver never actually calls the extern
> function -- so the static variable and the static function too become
> useless.
>
> In this case, will /OPT:REF remove the static variable and the static
> function too?
>
> It seems counter-intuitive to me that an internal-only function or an
> internal-only variable has to be declared extern (via
> GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED) just so it can be eliminated at link
> time, if it is never referenced (transitively).

Laszlo,

I agree. The LLVM LTO does not have an issue "doing the right thing". Seems
like static is also more of a compile time concept vs a link time (global
optimization) kind of thing?

Given on VC++ GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED maps to __declspec( selectany ) I
would guess maybe it has more to due with supporting old non standard header
files that can't change without breaking compatibility.

MSDN on __declspec( selectany ) :
A global data item can normally be initialized only once in an EXE or DLL
project. selectany can be used in initializing global data defined by headers,
when the same header appears in more than one source file. selectany is
available in both the C and C++ compilers.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish