Mike:
  Yes. /Gw option is added since VS2013. The older VS version can't use this
option. I suggest we always define GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED as empty, and
drop this size optimization for the older version MS compiler. I collect its
size of OvmfIa32X64 DEBUG tip with VS2015 tool chain on. After define it as
empty, DXE Raw size increases ~55K, but PEI raw size and the compressed size
doesn't increase big.

1. Define GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED as __declspec(selectany). FV Space
Information
SECFV [10%Full] 212992 total, 22816 used, 190176 free
FVMAIN_COMPACT [62%Full] 1753088 total, 1099872 used, 653216 free
DXEFV [39%Full] 10485760 total, 4099344 used, 6386416 free
PEIFV [18%Full] 917504 total, 172072 used, 745432 free

2. Define GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED as empty. FV Space Information
SECFV [10%Full] 212992 total, 22912 used, 190080 free
FVMAIN_COMPACT [63%Full] 1753088 total, 1105992 used, 647096 free
DXEFV [39%Full] 10485760 total, 4154480 used, 6331280 free
PEIFV [18%Full] 917504 total, 173448 used, 744056 free

FVMAIN_COMPACT +6120
DXEFV  + 55136
PEIFV    + 1376

3. Define GLOBAL_REMOVE_IF_UNREFERENCED as empty and append /Gw option. FV
Space Information.
SECFV [10%Full] 212992 total, 22816 used, 190176 free
FVMAIN_COMPACT [62%Full] 1753088 total, 1099552 used, 653536 free
DXEFV [39%Full] 10485760 total, 4097456 used, 6388304 free
PEIFV [18%Full] 917504 total, 171944 used, 745560 free

FVMAIN_COMPACT -320
DXEFV  -1888
PEIFV    -128

Thanks