Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Vladimir Olovyannikov
had to walk into mine at 09:49:16 on Tuesday 30 May 2017 and say:

This may be an Intel-ism.

Note that for PCIe, I typically refer to "host bridges" as root complexes.

On PowerPC SoCs that I've worked with (e.g. Freescale/NXP MPC8548, P2020,
P4080, T4240) there are often several root complexes. A typical board design
may have several PCIe slots where each slot is connected to one root complex
in the SoC. Each root complex is therefore the parent of a separate "segment"
which has its own unique bus/dev/func space. Each root complex has its own
bank of registers to control it, including a separate set of configuration
space access registers. This means you can have multiple PCIe trees each with
its own bus0/dev0/func0 root. There can therefore be several devices with the
same bus/dev/func tuple, but which reside on separate segments.

The ARMv8 board you're working with is probably set up the same way. I've only
worked with ARM Cortex-A boards and those have all had just one PCIe root
complex, but it stands to reason those that have multiple root complexes would
follow the same pattern as the PPC devices.

Intel systems can (and often do) also have multiple PCIe root complexes,
however for the sake of backwards compatibility, they all end up sharing the
same configuration space access registers (0xCF8/0xCFC or memory mapped
extended config space) and share a single unified bus/dev/func tree.

Note that the tree is not always contiguous. For example, I've seen one Intel
board where there was a special PCIe device on bus 128. In the ACPI tables,
there were two PCI "segments" described, the second of which corresponded to
bus 128. There was no switch or bridge to connect bus 128 to the tree rooted
at bus0/dev0/func0, so it would not be possible to automatically discover it
by just walking the bus0/dev0/func0 tree and all its branches: you needed to
use the ACPI hint to know it was there.

I have also seen cases like this with pre-PCIe systems. For example, I've seen
a Dell server that had both 32-bit and 64-bit PCI buses, where the 64-bit bus
was at bus 1, but was not directly bridged to bus 0 (the 32-bit bus). There
was a reason for this: 64-bit PCIe buses are usually clocked at 66MHz, but
will fall back to 33MHz if you connect a 32-bit PCI device to them (this is
supported for backward compatibility). Reducing the bus clock reduces
performance, so to avoid that it's necessary to keep the 32-bit and 64-bit
buses separate and thus give each one its own host bridge. As with the
previous example, all the devices shared the same bus/dev/func space, but the
only way to learn about the other segment was to probe the ACPI tables.

It sounds as if the UEFI PCI host bridge code may be biased towards the Intel
PCI behavior, though I'm not sure to what extent.

So the comment that you found that says:

// Most systems in the world including complex servers have only one Host
Bridge.

Should probably be amended: it should probably say "Most Intel systems" and
even those systems probably do have more than one host bridge (root complex),
it's just that it doesn't look like it.

-Bill