On 02/26/14 01:05, Andrew Fish wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com
> <mailto:ler...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> The
>>
>>  CSI Ps ; Ps ; Ps t
>>
>> escape sequence serves for window manipulation. We can use the
>>
>>  CSI 8 ; <rows> ; <columns> t
>>
>> sequence to adapt eg. the xterm window size to the selected console mode.
>>
>> Reference: <http://rtfm.etla.org/xterm/ctlseq.html>
>>

> Laszlo Xterm != PCANSI. So I’m don't think this is safe to do this you
> have a real PCANSI terminal emulation running.
>
> There are a lot of similarities between VT100/PCANSI/VTUTF8 and xterm,
> but they are not the same. So things can kind of seem like there
> working, but they are not really 100% functional.
>
> From mucking about in the past I seem to remember:
> 1) xterm (well at least the xterm-256 color, default for the Mac
> Terminal.app) is UTF-8,  For the output stuff you can mostly use VTUTF8Type.
> 2) It is like VT100, but with differences.
>  INSERT/DELETE/END/PAGE_UP/PAGE_DOWN, and Function Keys,
> 3) There are some different state machine constructs: ESC [ 1 * ~, ESC [
> 2 * ~, ESC [ 3 * ~, needed for function keys > F4.
> 4) You can add a GUIDed device path for the terminal emulation type.

Yes, I figured it would be quite messy to armor this code from all
sides. That's why I mentioned the PCD -- the default would be to disable
this behavior, and the PCD could be set where people know for certain
that PCANSI equals "xterm".

Anyway I don't feel strongly about this individual patch (ie. 2/1). It
would take a lot of work to make it robust enough for MdeModulePkg, and
I don't think I can spend that effort.

I'll certainly keep this patch in my own clone (it does make working
with the UEFI shell a lot more convenient!), and perhaps we'll carry it
out of tree. I'd like to thank you for the idea.

Regarding patch 1/1 (ie. the list of new modes), I think that one is
both less intrusive *and* more important. I'd really like to see that
merged. (Of course we could carry that in parallel too.)

Thanks!
Laszlo