On 02/26/14 16:39, Brian J. Johnson wrote:
> On 02/25/2014 04:04 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> The
>>
>>    CSI Ps ; Ps ; Ps t
>>
>> escape sequence serves for window manipulation. We can use the
>>
>>    CSI 8 ; <rows> ; <columns> t
>>
>> sequence to adapt eg. the xterm window size to the selected console mode.
>>

> I'd suggest *not* committing this patch, or at least leaving the
> functionality disabled (PCD) by default.  If I remember correctly, we
> (SGI) tried this internally a number of years ago.  The feedback from
> early users was that resizing people's terminal windows on them is very
> annoying, and A Really Bad Idea.  They asked us to remove it
> immediately.  I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, but for our users at
> least, the opinion was pretty clear-cut.

The xterm manual says:

  VT100 Widget Resources

    Specify which features will be disabled if allowWindowOps is false.
    This is a comma-separated list of names, or (for the controls
    adapted from dtterm the operation number).  The default value is
    20,21,SetXprop,SetSelection

      [...]

      disallowedWindowOps (class DisallowedWindowOps)

        Specify which features will be disabled if allowWindowOps is
        false.  This is a comma-separated list of names, or (for the
        controls adapted from dtterm the operation number).  The default
        value is 20,21,SetXprop,SetSelection

          [...]

          SetWinSizeChars (8)
            Resize the text area to given size in characters.

So this sequence can be disabled individually on the user side.

But I'm fine if it's dropped; I mainly posted it to see if there would
be reactions wrt. compatibility etc.

Thanks!
Laszlo