On 2015-05-27 10:20:09, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 05/27/15 18:06, Andrew Fish wrote:
> >
> >> On May 27, 2015, at 1:52 AM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com
> >> <mailto:ler...@redhat.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Access on the web looks like a step forward (eg. it provides syntax
> >> highlighting), but it's actually a small step at a steep price. The
> >> price is that a web browser (and a central server) are required.
> >
> > “Stone Knives and bearskins” aside, why is a web browser bad?
>
> Ultimately, I can only say that I've found web apps very limiting when
> engaging in technical discussion.

See also: this thread right here.

... Actual discussion happening. Can you imagine trying to do the same
on a web forum?

... Little barrier to entry to the discussion. (An email account.)

I happen to agree with Laszlo. We should retain the ability for people
to run git format-patch/send-email to contribute.

If we adopt some web based system, we should note that we are going to
cut some people out of that loop.

I've seen Gerrit a little, but I've not actually worked with it.
Regarding what I saw, I wasn't particularly impressed (nor concerned).
It didn't appear to bring all that much beyond email reviews.

-Jordan