On 27 May 2015 at 21:06, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/27/15 20:55, Carsey, Jaben wrote:

>>> for free, applies patch for free, auto builder for free), not being a
>>> required
>>> workflow.

>>> I’m not tied to Gerrit. If we add an auto builder, then the review becomes
>>> more than send a patch to the mailing list. I’d be fine if that was an
>>> automated mailing list that did the auto build, if that passes post to the
>>> edk2
>>> mailing list and maybe have some quick way to do a graphical diff. Maybe
>>> that is not possible.
>>
>> Graphical diff is frequently much more useful than the email.  Often I need
>> more surrounding code than the email has.
>
> I agree 100% (as I explained. Probably with too many words.)
>
> The solution is, IMHO, not to move to a web app, but to make it very
> easy for reviewers to apply / fetch the patch series onto / into their
> local clones. This way the entire *tree* is at the reviewer's disposal,
> at any stage in the series, and not just for review, but for building
> and testing as well. Diffs can be displayed with everyone's favorite tool.
>
> More context than that simply doesn't exist.

Something like patchwork/pwclient perhaps?

http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/

It is currently being used by a number of Linux kernel subsystem
maintainers, but it is entirely optional for contributors: it is
basically just a custom view onto the mailing list feed, with some
additional metadata to keep track of the acceptance state of patches.