Thom Baguley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No. I was writing about the statistical issues in
> general. Regardless of what the baseball example was intended to
> clarify, the claim that a _huge_ difference exists is a strong one
> that needs to be explained and supported in context.

Yes indeed.  And the context in this case is the question of whether
or not the difference in performance provides an alternative
explanation for why the men were paid more (one supposes, no actual
salary data has been released).

In this context, all that matters is that there is a difference.  As
explained in many previous posts by myself and others, it is NOT
appropriate in this context to do a significance test, and ignore the
difference if you can't reject the null hypothesis of no difference in
the populations from which these people were drawn (whatever one might
think those populations are).

   Radford Neal

Radford M. Neal                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Statistics and Dept. of Computer Science [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Toronto                     http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~radford