At 04:14 PM 3/16/01 -0500, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>Sides?  Tails?
>
>There are hypotheses that are one- or two-sided.
>There are distributions (like the t)  that are sometimes
>folded over, in order report "two tails" worth of p-level
>for the amount of the extreme.

seems to me when you fold over (say) a t distribution ... you don't have a
t distribution anymore ... mighten you have a chi square if before you fold
it over you square the values?

unless there is something really funny about a distribution that i have
been unable to identify in a picture ... all of them have two ends ...
tails ... whether they stretch out alot or ... bunch up on the left like
chisquare 1

a test STATISTIC is not a distribution ... so, we need to keep what the
test STATISTIC does ... how it works ... APART from some distribution ...
which it might follow

all i know is that there seems to be considerably confusion/differential
use ... call it whatever but ... our terminology on this one is NOT clear ...

especially when we relate the test statistic ... the statistical
distribution ... AND the null/and research hypothesis we might have in some
particular investigation

i was hoping that our list might help reduce this confusion ... by
advancing some more specific uses of terms