On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, William Levine wrote:

> A study was conducted to assess whether there were age differences in memory
> for order independent of memory for items. Two preexisting groups (younger
> and older adults - let's call this variable A) were tested for memory for
> order information (Y). These groups were also tested for item memory (X).
>
> Two ways of analyzing these data came to mind. One was to perform an ANCOVA
> treating X as a covariate. But the two groups differ with respect to X,
> which would make interpretation of the ANCOVA difficult. Thus, an ANCOVA did
> not seem like the correct analysis.

Here's my take on it... The ANCOVA model can be implemented with
sequential/hierarchical regression as you note below... however, ANCOVA
has at least two assumptions that your situation does not meet.  First, it
assumes that assignment to treatment condition is random.  Second, it
assumes that the measurement on the covariate is independent of
treatment.  That is, the covariate should be measured before the treatment
is implemented.  Thus, I believe that you should implement the
hierarchical regression... but I'm not certain what question you are
really answering...

I guess it is whether there is variabilty in memory for order that is
related to age, that is independent of variability in memory for
items... So, I would not call it an ANCOVA... You might also consider the
possibiltiy of interaction... That is, is the relationship between memory
for order and memory for items the same for younger and older
participants...

WBW

William B. Ware, Professor and Chair               Educational Psychology,
CB# 3500                                       Measurement, and Evaluation
University of North Carolina                         PHONE  (919)-962-7848
Chapel Hill, NC      27599-3500                      FAX:   (919)-962-1533
http://www.unc.edu/~wbware/                          EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]