Hi there,

would someone please explain in lay person's terms the difference
betwn.
principal components, commom factors, and maximum likelihood
estimation
procedures for factor analyses?

Should I expect my factors obtained through maximum likelihood
estimation
tobe highly correlated?  Why?  When should I use a Maximum likelihood
estimation procedure, and when should I not use it?

Thanks.

Rita

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unlike the other methods, maximum likelihood allows you to estimate
the entire structural model *simultaneously* [i.e., the effects of
every independent variable upon every dependent variable in your
model].  Most other methods only permit you to estimate the model in
pieces, i.e., as a series of regressions whereby you regress every
dependent variable upon every independent variable that has an arrow
directly pointing to it.  Moreover, maximum likelihood actually
provides a statistical test of significance, unlike many other methods
which only provide generally accepted cut-off points but not an actual
test of statistical significance.  There are very few cases in which I
would use anything except a maximum likelihood approach, which you can
use in either LISREL or if you use SPSS you can add on the module AMOS
which will do this as well.

Tracey