On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:00:30 -0500, Paige Miller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can someone please point me to examples where Excel 95 or Excel 97
> produce incorrect results? Or perhaps post a few examples here? Thanks!

Here is from a note that was posted Dec 1, 1999 on sci.stat.consult,
by someone touting a particular set of add-ons to Excel --

===========start extract  < reformatted > from James Huntington
However, we have recently been comparing Analyse-it (see
http://www.analyse-it.com/) our statistics software for Microsoft
Excel against competitor products. Our testing is based on the
publically available NIST datasets, and our testing includes most of
the popular packages like XlStat, WinStat, Minitab, SAS, SPSS and so
on.

We were shocked by the results! We'll be publishing details on our
web-site soon, along with the datasets & results for all to see, but
briefly:

* Excel's built-in statistical functions like STDEV(), VAR() and
CORREL() yeild inaccurate results in many cases. Most of the Excel
add-ins use the above functions so propagate these errors. Analyse-it
does not use **ANY** of Excels functions so is not affected.

* Even well established packages that are taken for granted like SPSS
& SAS, which were independently tested by the American Statistical
Association, did not perform well in many cases. In a few cases even
Excel's results are more accurate! You can read the reports online at
http://www.amstat.org/publications/tas/mccull.pdf and
http://www.amstat.org/publications/tas/mccull-1.pdf
==================end of extract.

Those URLs  are:  American Statistician, May, 1999, for one reference
that you can read in full, if you can read post-script files from the
site above (I found it downloaded rather slowly), which details or
cites references for various tests.

The Longley data, which illustrates some problems for non-centered
algorithms, uses data like 1001,1002, ... ,1007  to examine variances,
and correlations/regressions  with something practically similar
(maybe, add 1.0  to a 1007, to make the correlation not-perfect).

The SD, correlations, etc.,-- except for the means -- should be
exactly the same as if you looked at 1,2,3,4,5,6,7  vs 1,2,3,4,5,6,8.

 Now, instead of 2 zeroes in a number like 1001, use 4 or 5 or 6
zeroes -- 1000001, etc.  Six digit numbers will break a non-centering
algorithm, if the computer doesn't  compute with  11+ digits of
accuracy.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html