Dennis writes:

> but, i counter counter with ...
>
> sorry ... grading is PRIMARILY a subjective activity ... there is no other
> way to put it. now, you can have test scores, project scores, other
> observations, speeches, homework, knowledge from previous classes, etc.
> ... you name it. but, in the final analysis ... you put all this stuff
> together ... and then you DECIDE where to put the cut points ... and, if
> anyone out there thinks the placing of cut points in typical classes in
> schools is objective ... then merry christmas to you and to all a good night!

To this I agree and it is my position also. Grading is subjective. You can
leave the grades alone and subjectively decide on the cut-off points,
leave the cut-off points fixed and subjectively decide on adding points to
all grades, in non-objective tests you can decide how much to count
off, etc.

Which doesn't even consider the fact that few (no one I know of)
instructors attempt to validate their testing instruments using the
concepts of measurement theory (reliablity and validity assesment). This
is another thread I would like to see discussed. Shouldn't we teach our
Ph.D. students how to use measurement theory in the area that of
measuring that they will practice most often: measuring student
performance?

 Mark Eakin
Associate Professor
Information Systems and Management Sciences Department
University of Texas at Arlington
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]