----- Original Message -----
From: DeLa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 6:27 AM
Subject: Sample size: way tooo big?

> I have been trying to explain to some co-workers that a sample
> can be too big.
> That is not very easy because it is contratictory to what
> intuition says.
>
> Can someone point me to some good arguments or literature?
> Or correct me if my assumption is wrong?

    I can see that:

    (1) a sample can be bigger than is justified in terms of cost
    (2) a sample can be bigger than ethically justified, if subjects are
        inconvenienced, harmed, etc.
    (3) a sample can be bigger than is easy to work with, (especially if you
are using a limited demo version of a package!)
    (4) a sample can be too big for certain implicit assumptions about the
relationship between practical and statistical significance to be
valid;
    (5) a sample can be too big for certain types of graphical
epresentation,         designed for small-to-midsized data sets to work
well - eg, a boxplot         of 10E6 points will show thousands of outliers
even with a normal             distribution;
    (6) a sample can be too big for certain "pathological" tests. For
instance, Tukey's "7-11" test, applied to huge samples, will almost
certainly yield results based entirely on some slight contamination
of one or the other distribution that would be irrelevant to a
normal-sized sample.
    (7) in certain testing procedures, equal sample size is assumed. This
may         be either an essential assumption or simply a matter of
robustness.         In either case, one sample may be too big for the rest.

    But, in general, as Tom T. Hall might have put it, "It's faster horses;
older whiskey; younger [members of the appropriate sex]; and MORE DATA!"

        -Robert Dawson