----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: Galton

How Galton got the data is very interesting. No professor today would do what he did to get his data.

Good heavens! What did he do? You're not going to leave it at that, are you?

Francis Galton was one of the better known scientists in the later part of the 19th century. You can find out about him by doing a web inquiry. GOOGLE got me over 2000.

I am referring to his book "Natural Inheritance", published in 1889, and based on work from about 1884. Galton was a man of the times, and did not have the powerful stat tools we now have, or the insights into measurements on humans that we now have.

1. He states "I have long been engages upon certain problems that lie at the base of the science of heredity.... This volume contains the more important of the results, set forth in an orderly way, with more completeness than has hitherto been possible, together with a large amount of new matter"

2.  He states "..but what meaning can we attach to the word 'Average" when it is applied to the stature of two such different beings as the Father and Mother?...A serious complexity due to sexual differences seems to await us at every step when investigating the problems of heredity. Fortunately we are able to evade it altogether by using an artifice at the outset...The artifice is never deal with female measures as they are observed, but always to employ their male equivalents in place of them.....". On page 42, he states " We learn how to transmute female measures of any characteristic into male ones, by comparing their respective schemes, and devising a formula that will change the one to the other. In the case of stature, the simple multiple of 1.08 was found to do this with sufficient precision." You would not find this in any current paper by a statistician in 2000.

3. On page 16 he states, "Fortunately for us, our ignorance of the subject will not introduce any special difficulty in the inquiry on which we are now engaged." (he is referring to how acquired faculties can be inherited by the children here.) Would any statistician today make such a statement in a paper for publication or a thesis?

4. He states on page 71, "I had to collect all of my data for myself as nothing existed, so far as I know, that would not satisfy even my primary requirement". What he did was to make up a notice (published in the newspapers) "Mr. Francis Galton offers 500(l) in prizes to those subjects...who shall furnish him before May 15, 1884, with the best extracts from their own family records". He did this, paying the prizes out of his own pocket, and publishing the names and addresses of the people who were awarded prizes.  I am sure you wouldn't find a statistician today who would do this out his own pocket, or publish the names and addresses of the responders.

5. Lastly, he drew conclusions about his regression on the effect of stature of parents to their children, without making any statistical tests. (In fairness, the concept of hypothesis and statistical test were unknown at this time). He does however say that the data was "too scattered and irregular to make it useful to give the results in detail"

6. Of interest, Galton explores inheritance aspects of disease. The primary cause of death was consumption (16%). However the conversion of phrases describing the health or death symptoms was quite broad, and included anything with lungs, breathing, or delicacy of health, besides straight statements of "consumption, phthisis, tubercular disease, lung disease, abscess on lung, etc. Nowadays we have definite tests for tuberculosis.

DAH