Hi to all,

For some years I have been teaching a technique which I know as testing
the components of chi square in a standard contingency table problem. If
you calculate the standardised residual

SR = (fo - fe)/sqrt(fe)

for each cell, these residuals are approximately normally distributed
with mean zero and standard error given by

SE = sqrt((1 - rowsum/overallsum)*(1-columnsum/overallsum))

provided the expected frequencies are large enough (as for the use of
chi square itself).

My problem is that I have no source for this technique. I have never
seen it in a textbook. (I have no doubt about its validity, and frankly
don't understand why textbooks do not refer to it.)

Can anyone give me a reference to it? Ideally, a reference to its
original publication.

My thanks in advance.
Alan

--
Alan McLean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics