Siegel and Castellan, Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
(2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, 1988), discuss partitioning the degrees of freedom
and analyzing residuals in r x k contingency tables. They argue that,
because individual cell residuals are not independent, it is safer to
combine the analysis of residuals with a partitioning analysis rather than
to assess significant cell-level differences with standardized residuals
alone.

Michael Willmorth, Ph.D.
Senior Study Director
Clearwater Research, Inc.