Alan -  You've already received several promising replies to your inquiry,
but one that no one mentioned may be worth noting:

Agresti, A., & Finlay, B. (1986). Statistical methods for the social
sciences, 2nd ed. San Francisco: Dellen Publishing Company.

This was Agresti's unusually sophisticated intro-stats text. His
next-to-the-last chapter on Models for Categorical Variables makes
reference to adjusted residuals and standardized residuals. On p. 492 he
writes that "adjusted residuals ... make a cell-by-cell comparison of fo
and fe. These adjusted residuals behave like standard normal variables
when the model truly holds. Hence, a large adjusted residual (say,
exceeding 2 or 3 in absolute value) gives evidence of some lack of fit in
that cell. ... Some computer packages also report for each cell a
residual, which equals fo - fe, and a standardized residual, which equals
(fo - fe)/sqrt(fe). These are more difficult to interpret inferentially
than adjusted residuals, because their sampling distributions are not
standard normal."

Best wishes for your work.

Gordon Bear   School of Science    Ramapo College    Mahwah NJ 07430-1680 USA
Voice: 201 684-7754    Fax: 201 684-7637             E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]