i've always had a problem with that (and similar) definitions of
econometrics.

i prefer to think of it as follows...

statisticians often look at data and try to draw conclusions solely from
that data.

econometricians tends to start from an economic hypothesis and then analyze
(statistically) any relevant data to draw evidence to prove/disprove that
hypothesis.

a good example would come from the work i do.  'statistical arbitrage'
strategies that develop from pure statistical analysis on returns tend to be
exercises in data mining and usually either fail, or if they succeed -  its
because of other factors (i.e., a 'long-in-disguise' strategy would
certainly look great if tested in a time frame when the market generally has
gone straight up).  a strategy which is developed based on an economic
hypothesis (i.e. certain factors are cointegrated because blah,blah,blah)
would seem more reasonable (and often is).

001701c01f54$9aa51d40$1101a8c0@daleglas">news:001701c01f54$9aa51d40$1101a8c0@daleglas...