In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Alan McLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm not really an econometrician, despite the department I work in. But
>having observed the guys who are - econometrics is concerned with the
>estimation and validation of economic models.

This is highly restricted.  It is concerned with all aspects
of the application of mathematics to the understanding of
economics.

        So the emphasis is very
>much on regression methods (including multi-equation methods) and on
>time series.

Which specific statistical methods are currently used in
correctly or incorrectly carrying out the application has
nothing to do with the question of what is the subject.

Similarly, statistics is the theory of decision making in
the presence of uncertainty as to the state of nature.
That much of statistical practice ignores the basis just
means that people are misusing what they do not understand.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558