I personnaly found a way to have the students memorize formulas without
forcing them.  I let them use their books for exams but I regularly ask
questions on how the statistics calculated from the formula are affected
when I change, say, the number of subjects, the homogeneity of a set of
data, the range of the independent variable, etc.  Therefore, they study the
formulas before the exams because they don't want to be looking for it while
their thinking about the question.

--
Dr Julie Lamoureux, dmd, MSc
Tampa, Florida