On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:26:28 -0600, "Tony T. Warnock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aniko wrote:
>

> > I don't understand your problem. The accent is on the _third_  syllable,
> > that is on the first "o" in "Kalma_go_rov". It is usual to put the stress
> > mark ' in front of the accented syllable.
>
> It is?
>
> I have three dictionaries in the office and all put the stress mark after the
> syllable.
>
> I have never (other than your posting) seen the stress before the syllable. Of
> course, I haven't read everything either.

These days, in your better reference sources (I think),
the mark comes before the syllable to be stressed.  As it
happens, that is opposite to what I was taught in elementary school
in the 1950s, so I can empathize....  eternal verities, just slipping
away....

Do you really have *three*  that are the old way?  (Names/Dates?)
I have not seen a survey of dictionaries, but the (few) ones that I
have used in recent years have been consistent, the times I have
noticed, in using a pre-syllable accent mark.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html