Aniko wrote:

> It is usual to put the stress
> mark ' in front of the accented syllable.

and Rich has documented that, if not usual, it is not unusual.  All
of my dictionaries put the stress mark after the accented syllable.
I suspect this is the way it was always done until recently. Rich
cites the Merriam-Webster WWW dictionary as puttin the mark in
front.  However, my trusty New International, *2*-nd edition, puts
it behind. There's an old saying that if it ain't broke, don't fix
it.  I wonder what was considered so broken that it had to be fixed.