Dennis wrote:

> Hello Newsgroup,
> I'm searching for real good books on stats. I'm a student of psychology and
> we've been taught very much stats. But I read all the time your postings and
> wonder why I've never heard about that what I read. So what I'm searching
> for is e.g. a profound heuristic, which model or technique is to be used on
> a specific question of a research or evaluation problem. How important are
> the assumptions of those techniques.

I would guess the main reason that what you read here seems different
from what you study is that here the tone is conversational while the
tone of a textbook is formal.

For the heuristics of linear models, you might look at the linear models
book by Neter et al., the linear models book by Kleinbaum et al. (not
the epi book) or Regression Analysis by Example by Chattergee and
Price.  That said, there has been a wealth of books on applied
regression analysis published in the last half dozen years.  I have not
kept up with them but based on the reputations of the authors there are
certainly some gems out there.