In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "P.G.Hamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Herman Rubin wrote:
>
> >  Those who voted for Bush
>
> <snip>
>
> > and so push harder on the punch to make sure that it
> > went all the way through.
>
> A related interpretation is that those who were voting Gore
> were less certain that they had chosen the right hole, so pressed
> less positively. [They would have been quite right too -- as an
> experimental test has shown!]

too bad Peter... we were discussing Volusia county. There wasn't a
butterfly ballot there.  Less positivity in votes there would be a
sign of doubt in the character of their candidate.

Also, I don't buy this variation in punching argument. None of you
Gore supporters point out that Bush's punch hole is farthest away
from the voter. That should make his hole more difficult to punch
due to the additional lever arm.(hmmm idea for book: The
Physics of Voting). And exit polling for Florida
as a whole had senior citizens 50/50 on Bush/Gore. This may not
be true in Volusia, but I could argue that any voting system
discriminates against the elderly except for maybe voice vote.

Occam's razor would say that undercount pickups (due to manual
"discovery" of chad-issue ballots) in statistically greater
proportion than the overall breakdown of the county
is due to vote tampering by unknown persons of one political group.
Combinations of the "elderly effect", position in ballot column
(.i.e. distance from voter), variations in awl, etc. violate my
personal principle of checking the simple solutions first.

mlewis

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.