Alan:

I don't understand your comments about the estimation of a proportion.
It sounds to me as if you are using the estimated standard error. (Surely
you are not assuming a known standard error.) You are presumably, also
using the normal approximation to the binomial (or perhaps the
hypergeometric.)
To do so requires a "large" sample size in which case it doesn't matter
whether
you use the normal or t distribution. Both would be acceptable approximations.
(and both would be approximations.) So what is your point?

Once more I think you need to separate the issues of what statistic to use
and what distribution to use.

Jon

At 01:10 PM 4/20/01 -0400, you wrote:
>(This note is largely in support of points made by Rich Ulrich and
>Paul Swank.)

snip