You can draw Venn diagrams very easily in Powerpoint using the
ellipse/circle and box/rectangle tools. Draw the diagram, group all the
bits together, and copy it into Word or whatever.

Whether it is 'publication quality' depends on your definition of htis
term.....

Alan

Donald Burrill wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2001, John Uebersax asked for software "that produces
> publication quality Venn diagrams":
>
> > I want something to summarize and communicate to non-statisticians
> > (e.g., physicians) the overlap between two sets (such as patients who
> > have Major Depression those who receive antidepressant meds).
>
> Do you have reason to believe that your clients are particularly familiar
> with, and accustomed to interpreting, Venn diagrams?  If not, why not use
> a simple two-way table of frequencies (or proportions)?  This has the
> possible virtue of being readily extensible to three or more sets,
> whereas the characteristics you ask for below can be guaranteed only for
> two sets in Venn diagrams (and even then not for the complementary space
> representing the elements that belong to neither set).
>
> > The diagram should show the area of each circle as proportional [to]
> > its N, and the overlap area as proprotional to the number of cases in
> > both groups.
>
> Venn diagrams don't strictly need to be displayed in terms of circles;
> it's merely customary, or perhaps conventional.  (Possibly because rough
> circles are easier to draw on a blackboard in more or less recognizable
> form than squares or rectangles.)  The geometric task would be easier if
> you used squares, for which this kind of proportionalitity is fairly
> easy to arrange (and construct).  Of course, in no case can you manage
> to get the area of the circles (or squares, or whatever figures please
> you) to be proportional to their respective N's  *and*  have the area of
> the complementary set (those that are neither 'A' nor 'B') proportional
> to its N, unless the complementary set is rather large in comparison to
> 'A' and 'B'.
>
> It would be possible to subdivide a square or rectangular space into four
> subsets whose areas are proportional as described;  but I do not think
> one could guarantee that more than three of the four subsets would be
> rectangular (the fourth might be L-shaped), nor that the sets 'A' and
> 'B' (both of which contain 'AB') would both be rectangular.
>
> Tables are more general, and in some senses simpler (the subspaces are
> all rectangular, you can display 'A' and 'B' with differently colored
> outlines, and their intersection is obvious).  But perhaps this approach
> would not be viable, if you happen to be dealing with numerophobes for
> clients.  (OTOH, the *logical* relationships are fairly clear, and one
> can always avoid talking about the actual *numbers* involved.)

>  Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Alan McLean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics
Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne
Tel:  +61 03 9903 2102    Fax: +61 03 9903 2007