Rich Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I can believe someone would call it that, but I can believe other
: tests would be called that, too.  You state this is, in reference
: to what test (what computer program, or what textbook)?
see my other post

: MANOVA is a canonical correlation problem.  MANCOVA, so far
: as I imagine it, is another canonical correlation problem.  You might
: be taking steps in a particular order, but you are still solving
: to find the eigenvalues of an asymmetric matrix -- at least,
: most of the time.
Yes; they are both CC problems, one with dummy variables on one side, the
other with dummys and continuous on one side.  The assymmetric matrix is
transformed to a symmetric matrix for solution

The two formulations of the problem are
Sh x = kSe x         Manova       x an eigenvector
Sh x = c(Sh+Se) x    CanR

Factoring the Sh show that x is the same in both cases but
c = k/(1+k)
so that the problems are equivalent