I incorporate a separate "N/A" option. This could be included in an earlier
question that would ensure respondents who should not answer the questions
were skipped over those questions.  This is standard practice, e.g. in CATI
situations.
CATI = computer assisted telephone interviewing.

IMO the problem has become incorrect survey question pattern design in this
case, rather than incorrect response design.

cheers
Michelle