At 05:14 PM 9/19/01 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:

>It has Likert's original observations on writing
>an attitude scale (1932, which I had not seen elsewhere).

likert's work appeared in the archives of psychology ... #141 i think ...
in 1932 ... it was his dissertation work ... under the direction i think of
gardner murphy

the intention of likert's work was NOT to validate in any way ... the 3
scales he used in that dissertation ... but, to show that a simpler method
of attitude item scaling would be about as useful as the much harder to do
... thurstonian scaling ... equal appearing intervals i think

for sure, it is simpler

however, we have to keep in mind that this was 70 years ago ... i hope we
have learned a few things since then ... but, sometimes i wonder

>This Likert article has 4 items of example which are
>surprising to me in a couple of respects.  Two of the items
>are scaled categories, instead of being symmetrical
>ratings around "Undecided" or indifferent.  But the content
>is more surprising.  Race relations have surely shifted --

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm