were these two different sections at the same class time? that is ... 10AM
on mwf?
if not ... then there can be all kinds of reasons why means would be this
different ... nonewithstanding one or two real deviant scores in either
section ...

could also be different quality in the instruction ...

all kinds of things

of course, if you opted for 95 or 99% cis, the non overlap would be greater

what is the purpose of doing this in the first place? do not the mean
differences really suggest that there is SOMEthing different about the two
groups ... ? or ... at least something different in the overall operation
of the course in these two sections?

At 02:33 PM 10/1/01 -0300, Gus Gassmann wrote:
>Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Another instructor and I gave the same exam to our sections of a
> > course. Here's a summary of the results:
> >
> > Section A: n=20, mean=56.1, median=52.5, standard dev=20.1
> > Section B: n=23  mean=73.0, median=70.0, standard dev=21.6
> >
> > Now, they certainly _look_ different. (If it's of any valid I can
> > post the 20+23 raw data.) If I treat them as samples of two
> > populations -- which I'm not at all sure is valid -- I can compute
> > 90% confidence intervals as follows:
> >
> > Class A: 48.3 < mu < 63.8
> > Class B: 65.4 < mu < 80.9

dennis roberts, penn state university