In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gus Gassmann  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"J. Williams" wrote:

>> When I taught undergraduate statistics in a previous lifetime, I would
>> distribute copies of the mid-term and final examinations minus the
>> data sets one week prior.  Students could study the actual exam
>> together, apart, or however best fit their mode.  This eliminated any
>> untoward "surprises."  The data sets were distributed at the time of
>> the exam.    One of the side benefits for me, being naturally lazy,
>> was that I rarely had to alter the various items or prepare a totally
>> new testing vehicle.  Only the data sets changed for each class. I
>> think to some extent, the time-pressure element was avoided as was
>> undue apprehension.  It might be worth trying to see if it works in
>> your particular situation.

>My knee-jerk reaction to this is that it will do exactly the opposite
>of what you want. It places undue emphasis on memorization and
>number crunching, and may actively promote cheating, since the
>students _know_ how to trim the available information to something
>they can use in the exam. I much prefer Herman Rubin's suggestion
>of open book, open notes. The problem I have encountered quite
>frequently, however, is that many students don't bother to study,
>because they "can always look it up during the exam". This creates
>enormous time pressure, of course.

I agree that this is testing the trivia.  Having taught
probability with the full two-year calculus sequence as
a prerequisite, less than 25% of the undergraduates had
the understanding to use calculus on a takehome part of
the final.  BTW, those undergraduate were prospective
high school teachers of mathematics; they know how to
memorize and carry out routine, but understand nothing.

One way of getting around this problem is to allow notes of
a limited size.  Anyhow, those who think they can "look it
up" will not know what to look up if the problems are not
like the one in the book.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558