At 08:51 AM 11/15/01 -0600, jim clark wrote:

>The Ho in the case of means is NOT about the variances, so the
>analogy breaks down.  That is, we are not hypothesizing
>Ho: sig1^2 = sig2^2, but rather Ho: mu1 = mu2.  So there is no
>direct link between Ho and the SE, unlike the proportions
>example.

would it be correct then to say ... that the test of differences in
proportions is REALLY a test about the differences between two population
variances?

>Best wishes
>Jim

>James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
>Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
>University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
>Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm