I'm not really arguing for using the pooled stdev in this case, I'm just
trying to find out the reasons for significance testing procedures.

I think that what were discussing here is if we should use CIs BOTH
for stating effect sizes with errors AND for hypoyhesis testing. I read
a book by Michael Smithson called Statistics with Confidence
(SAGE, 2000). He's using CIs through the whole book in formulations
of hypothethis testing. It was really nice reading and I believe
students would appreciate the clearness of using fewer formulae for
SEs. But then I think we also have to kill darlings like Pearson's Chi
Sq.

Rolf D

> At 04:26 PM 11/15/01 +0100, Rolf Dalin wrote:
>

> >The significance test produces a p-value UNDER THE CONDITION
> >that the null is true. In my opinion it does not matter whether we
> >know it isn't true. It is just an assumption for the calculations. And
> >these calculations do not produce exactly the same information as the CI
> >for the difference. They state in some sense, if the procedure was
> >repeted, how probable it would be to ... etc.
>
> this might make sense if the sample p*q values were the same for BOTH
> samples ... but if they are not (which will almost always be the case in
> real data) ... then you already have SOME evidence that the null is
> perhaps not true (of course, we know that it is not exactly true anyway
> ... so that sort of tosses out the notion of pooling so as to get a better
> estimate of a COMMON variance)
>
> earlier in their presentation, moore and mccabe say that they prefer to
> use a CI to test some null in this case ... but, if one did a z test with
> the unpooled estimator for standard error, this would lead to a "valid"
> significance test ... HOWEVER ... then they go on to say that INSTEAD,
> they will adopt the pooled standard error approach since it is the " ...
> more common practice"
>
> that logic escapes me
>
> if we can build a CI using the un pooled standard error formula and, find
> that to be ok to see if some null value like 0 difference in population
> proportions is inside or outside of the CI, i don't see any need to switch
> the denominator formula in the z test JUST because we want to use the z
> test STATISTIC to test the null
>
> a little more consistency in logic would seem to be in the best interests
> of students trying to learn this ...
>
> i would still argue that the extent to which you would not be willing to
> use the pooled standard error formula in the case of differences in means,
> would be the same extent to which you would not be willing to use the
> pooled standard error formula when it comes to differences in proportions
> ... i don't see that the logic really is any different
>
> but, this is just my opinion

> dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
> 208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm

Rolf Dalin
Department of Information Tchnology and Media
Mid Sweden University
S-870 51 SUNDSVALL
Sweden
Phone: 060 148690, international: +46 60 148690
Fax: 060 148970, international: +46 60 148970
Mobile: 0705 947896, intnational: +46 70 5947896

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.itk.mh.se/~roldal/