In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
dennis roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>At 08:03 PM 11/15/01 +0000, Radford Neal wrote:
>>Radford Neal:

>>Jerry Dallal:

>> >But, if the null hypothesis is that the means are the same, why
>> >isn't(aren't) the sample variance(s) calculated about a pooled
>> >estimate of the common mean?

>>An interesting question.

>i think what  this shows (ie, these small highly technical distinctions) is
>that ... that most null hypotheses that we use for our array of
>significance tests ... have rather little meaning

>null hypothesis testing is a highly overrated activity in statistical work

Agreed.  The question is how to act.

>in the case of differences between two proportions ... the useful question
>is: i wonder how much difference (since i know there is bound to be some
>[even though it could be trivial]) there is between the proportions of A
>population versus B population?

Now this is a difficult problem.  It is only in translation
parameter problems that it is even clear that this is what
should be asked.  Confidence intervals for a binomial proportion
are a major headache, although for large samples, the usual
asymptotic expressions give a good approximation.

>to seek an answer to the real question ... no notion of null has to even be
>entertained

If the means are far apart, one definitely should NOT use the
pooled mean to estimate the precision; the estimate of
precision from that is always too large.  If the means are
close, the difference might be unimportant.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558