At 08:56 AM 11/16/01 -0700, Roy St Laurent wrote:
>It's not clear to me whether recent posters are serious about these
>examples, but
>I will reiterate my previous post:
>
>For most mathematics / statistics examinations, the "answer" to a
>question is the
>*process* by which the student obtains the incidental final number or
>result.
>The result itself is most often just not that important to evaluating
>students'
>understanding or knowledge of the subject.  And therefore an unsupported
>
>or lucky answer is worth nothing.

the problems with the above are twofold:

1. this assumes that correct answers are NOT important ... (which believe
me if you are getting change from a cashier, etc. etc. ... ARE ... we just
cannot say that knowing the process but not being able to come up with a
correct answer ... = good performance)

2. that answers without any OTHER supplied information on the part of the
examinee can't be taken as "knowledge" when, it (sometimes) can be

what if you asked on an exam ... the following:

1. what is the mean of 10, 9, 8, 8 and 7? _____

2. what is the mean of 27, 23, 19, 17 and 16? ____

3. what is the mean of 332, 234, 198, 239, and 200? _____

4. what is the mean of 23.4, 19.8, 23.1, 19.0, and 26.4? _____

and, for each of 1 to 4 ... they put down in the blanks, the correct answers

would you be willing to say that they know how to calculate the mean ...
ie, they know the process that is needed (and can implement it)?

i think you would EVEN though there is no other supporting process
information given by the examinee

so, the statement that no credit should be given when there is no
supporting other evidence (ie, the process is shown) ... can't be
considered necessarily valid

the problem here is NOT that no supporting evidence is given, the problem
is that with ONLY ONE instance of some given concept/skill that we are
attempting to assess on the part of the examinee, you are not nearly as
sure given only ONE CORRECT RESPONSE to one item ... whether it could have
been an answer because of real knowledge or, just happens to be the right
answer that was arrived at (luckily for the examinee) through some faulty
process

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm