Hi

On 16 Nov 2001, Rich Strauss wrote:
> I've just done some quick simulations in Matlab, constructing randomized
> null distributions of the t-statistic under both scenarious: (1) sample
> variances based on sample means vs. (2) variances about the pooled mean.
> Assuming I've done everything correctly, the result is that the null
> distribution of the t-statistic in the second case consistently
> approximates the theoretical t-distribution more closely that that of the
> first case.  This seems to be true regardless of sample sizes and of
> whether the two sample sizes are identical or different.  This result
> implies that the t-statistic should indeed be calculated about a pooled
> estimate of the common mean, as Jerry Dallal suggested.
>
> I could pass on the details of my simulation if anyone is interested, but
> mostly I'd appreciate it if someone could repeat this simulation
> independently of mine to see whether it holds up.

This simply cannot be generally true.  It probably only applies
when the null is in fact true, which may be the case for your
simulations.  To appreciate the illogical nature of this
recommendation, consider creating a real difference of x between
your population means, then 2x, then 3x, and so on.  By the
common mean approach, you are treating the variability between
groups as though it were noise (i.e., a component in your
estimate of sigma^2, the variance about the null-hypothesis of
a common mean).  It is critical to keep in mind that the null
hypothesis is in fact just that, a hypothesis that may or may
not be correct.  Computing the within-group variance about the
group means is the correct way to estimate sigma^2, however,
irrespective of whether the Ho about the means is true or not.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark