In article <001501c1482f$756d6190$e10e6a81@PEDUCT225>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

#If your purpose is to try and teach students about confidence intervals,
#then it makes little sense to start out by telling them the
#counterexamples.

Why not? My purpose would be to teach students that confidence intervals
are NOT what most people think they are. Why teach students a broken
concept?

#I don't start telling students about standard deviations by describing a
#Cauchy distribution. Now if we are going to do away with confidence
#intervals because of a few situations (probably contrived) where they don't
#work, then we need to rewrite a lot of statistics texts.

Confidence intervals don't tell me (as a physical scientist) what
->>I<<- want to know. So, doing away with them sounds like a good idea
to me. And rewriting a lot of statistics texts sounds like a good idea
as well.

Bill
----

#Maybe the
#qualitative people have the right idea. Don't use numbers at all.
#
#Paul R. Swank, Ph.D.
#Professor
#Developmental Pediatrics