the reality of this is ... sometimes getting notes from other students is
helpful ... sometimes it is not ... there is no generalization one can make
about this

most student who NEED notes are not likely to ask people other than their
friends ... and, in doing so, probably know which of their friends they
have the best chance of getting good notes from ... (at least READABLE!)
...even lazy students are not likely to ask for notes from people that even
THEY know are not going to be able to do them any good

but i don't think we can say anything really systematic about this activity
other than, sometimes it helps ... sometimes it does not help

At 06:24 PM 12/5/01 -0800, Glen wrote:
>Jon Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message >
> > You can ask the top students to look at their notes, but you should be
> prepared
> > to find that their notes are highly idiosyncratic.  Maybe even unusable.
>
>Having seen notes of some top students on a variety of occasions
>(as a student and as a lecturer), that certainly does happen
>sometimes. But just about as likely is to find a set of notes that
>are actually better than the lecturer would prepare themselves.
>
>Glen

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm