On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:37:10 -0000, "Chia C Chong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wish to get a book in Probability and statistical inference . I wish to
> get some advices first..Any good suggestion??

 a) Browse in a good college bookstore.  There should be a
section among general books, in addition to the textbooks
that are filed by course.  You can not the titles, even if the
books are sealed in plastic.  Anything that has been in print
for decades is good (for something).
 b) Look for some of those titles in a good college library,
and go to the shelves where you would find them.  Browse
the contents to see what you are looking for.
 - Then you could ask a stat-group for informed opinions,
if you don't get titles in response to this first request.

Further, online:  you could do a http://groups.google.com  search
of the stat-groups.  You could go to stat-web pages of people who
answer questions in the stat-groups, and look for references and
links  to references.

Hope this helps.
--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]