On Mar 8, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Vern Ceder wrote:

> Andre.
>
> I like Lightening a lot! This is almost exactly what I have been
> wanting
> for beginners, and I may give it a try this spring.
>
> If IDLE behaved this well and was this easy to use things would be
> much
> better.
>
> The reliance on an unincluded "battery" is a real drawback for many
> environments, of course, but it may be worth the trouble.
>
> Regards,
> Vern

Andre,

I agree with Vern, I just downloaded lightning and took it for a
spin.  Its really very nice.  The simplicity of IDLE is one of the
keys to the success of Python in our introductory CS courses.  But
students do have a bunch  of trouble with IDLE on windows.  I like
the fact that the traceback pane pops up right under the editor pane
when you run a script and hit a problem.

Regarding the 'batteries'.  What if we, as a community of educators
using python, did something like the Enthought or MacEnthon people
and created our own 'batteries included' distribution of Python.
Students and other interested parties would have one stop shopping to
get all the Python they needed to use python for learning computer
science.  What packages would we include?

Brad